Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Heavy Heart

There are so many more important things in this world than the sadness I am feeling. Please forgive me if I whine a bit too much. Know that I realize most of the horrible sadness faced in countries throughout the world. I do not wish to minimize their importance. My sadness is hitting very close to home. My sweet little girl cat, Annapurrna, is in the final stages of life. She stopped eating on Wednesday. She isn't hiding, but staying alone in various spots in our home. When people become "empty nesters," they tend to make their pets their children. Purrna is my sweet little friend. Even now, if DH or I pet her, she starts to purr. I've offered her all of her favorite foods. She won't take anything. She is still drinking water.

Two years ago, on Thanksgiving morning, we found Purrna barely alive. We took her to the vet who diagnosed her with renal failure. He did a type of dialysis on her and sent her home to die. That was November of 2005. The vet told us she had days to weeks, to two months - not more. Our little feline friend has lasted two years. November doesn't seem to be a good month for her. Purrna is 15. I know she has had a wonderful life. She's been happy and well cared for. I know it is her time to leave me. I just wish it didn't hurt so damn much.I'm so sad, I can't even think about Thanksgiving and the guests we going to have!

When I'd scrap, she'd lay on the paper cutter and watch me with interest. If I left an unfinished LO on the table overnight, I'd find it rearranged the next day. She is just so very sweet. She has done this twice before. We were able to pull her out of it by feeding her crab. Now, she licks her "lips" and then walks away. DH and I just don't know if we should have her put down yet. She isn't in pain. She's just "not there."

Thank you for listening to my tale of sorrow.

Our DIL was here this week studying for her oral exam for her Master's degree in English. She took her oral exam yesterday and passed with flying colors! So, to honor her gift of knowledge, I worked on this LO as a tribute to her special day. I did it through many tears.

I used a Prima Paintable sheet of CS and my water color pencils with a blender pen. I was very afraid to use water and a paint brush because if I messed up, I wouldn't be able to fix it. The colors are VERY vibrant IRL. There is beige mesh behind the lace bow. There are stick pins through the bow. The printed flowers are all painted and then covered with a matching Prima flower w/ a Doodlebug flower in the center.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Your Time to Shine

3 comments:

Morgan said...

Chris, I cannot tell you how unbelieveably sad I am for you. We lost our kitty this summer from the pet food recall, so I know exactly how heavy your heart truly is. Kira was only 4 years old, we barely got to know her. Reading you write about Purna brought back all those feelings of sorrow that I have tried my hardest to put away. I truly hope she is not in pain for much longer (for her sake, as sad as it is).

On a happier note, congrats to your DIL!!! What an amazing day, you must be so proud! Try re-taking the photo of the layout tomorrow morning outside, the colors should show truer to life! HTH!

Again, I am so very sorry for what you are going through, pets are sometimes closer to us than humans (at least in my case!).

Lauren M. said...

First of all, I'm so sorry that your lovely cat is not doing well (((hugs))).

This LO is truly amazing! The picture is gorgeous and all the little details are perfect! If Prima has an online gallery you should submit it there! Gorgeous:)

Alison said...

Oh my amazing!! How do you have so much skill all wrapped up into one body?!!

I am soooo sorry about your sweet Purrna!!