Sunday, February 21, 2010

February is Almost Over!

Where is time going? My goodness, this month only has a week left! February flew by, didn't it?

It's a rainy night. I love hearing it drip outside. I'm sure that north of us, the snow is falling quite a bit! The longer spring stays away, the happier I am. Spring is all too short, and on it's heels comes the dreaded heat of summer!

Did you have a good week? It's been a great week for me. Lots of nice things happening. I made some LOs this week and thought I'd share them with you.

The first LO has a story to it. You see, when DS was about 8 or 9, he discovered he loved shrimp scampi. Now, back then, people weren't always taking photographs of everything so they could be scrapped. However, the event needed to be documented. So, there isn't a photo of DS scarfing the scampi, but there is a plate of scampi that we had for dinner this week, LOL. Back to the story - We were on our way to Zion National Park to spend the weekend. We stopped and had dinner which was a seafood buffet. DS found he had a taste for scampi and devoured 127 shrimp! (keep in mind, he was 8 or 9) He counted each and every one he ate before he was full. These weren't tiny shrimp, either! We have never forgotten it. So, to make sure that it never is forgotten, I have created the following LO. There is a pocket behind the photo mat for hidden journaling which I will do this week.

Photobucket

The Shrimp Scampi Caper


The next LO is of a photo I took in the Fall in a small town called Rockville. I found this stream and thought the trees were just perfectly colored. This LO is based on that beautiful autumn day. I used pleated ribbon and lots of Prima flowers and leaves. The quote is one of Nathaniel Hawthorne. It says, "There is no season when such pleasant and sunny spots may be lighted on, and produce so pleasant an effect on the feelings, as now in October." Isn't that just a marvelous quote? I thought it matched the photo perfectly. Do you see it, too?

Photobucket

October


The last photo is one that I had to salvage. So many of our photos are darkening with age. I did some restoration work on this one. It turned out a bit too red,but I'm not sure it isn't a reflection from inside the train in which we were riding or the jacket DS was wearing. I wanted to create a bright LO. This was the first time DS ever ate popcorn. This isn't his first bite, but maybe his fourth or fifth piece ever. I took a doily and sprayed both sides with Archival Mist to preserve it. Then, I inked the edges and elevated them quite a bit all the way around using 1/4" adhesive foam pieces. I thin cut all the circles using my Nestibilities die and glued them around the doily. Next, I machine stitched everything. Think it's a bright enough LO? LOL I think you need sun glasses just to look at it! *giggle*

Photobucket

Your First Taste of Popcorn


I have a couple more to share later this week. I hope you will come back and visit again! The door is always open!

XO,
Chris

1 comment:

Miriam H said...

Love those LO's Chris! Love the colors and LOVE the flowers!!!!