Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Izzy's Bumblebee @ "W"ednesday at Magnolia-licious!



Happy Wednesday to you, Dearest Readers,

Have I got a story to share with you! I love oysters. I mean, I just love oysters! For 21 years, we spent our summers on the beach on the Oregon Coast. I mean, we were right on the beach!

We sold our beach house when someone built in front of us and took out our view! I was devastated, to say the least. I think I cried for a year. I couldn't imagine someone being so cruel. I had a 22' bay window with a window seat. I would sit for hours and just watch the waves.

Anyway, back to the oysters. Every summer, we would get fresh oysters in the shell, build a fire, and grill the oysters while they were still in the shell. After a bit on the hot, hot fire, the oysters would begin to spit and spatter. Then, we knew it was time to scarf them down, LOL. All those years, none of us ever found a pearl. Our circle of Oregon friends also never found a pearl. Imagine my surprise the other night when, while eating an oyster I bought at our local grocery store (here in the desert - can you believe that?), I felt something clunk against my tooth. I knew not to bite down again for fear of breaking a tooth. My first thought was, "I found a pearl!" But, just as fast as that thought entered my mind, I dismissed the idea. Afterall, what are the chances? We surely never found any on the Oregon Coast. So, I carefully removed the foreign object from my mouth. Here is what I found:



Can you believe that! Look at the size of it! I cannot imagine how old that oyster was to enable him/her to grow a pearl that big! How lucky am I? "Whoda thunk it?" LOL I am just thrilled at having the experience! That is such a rare thing to have happen!

I have to tell you that I have been on a roll making cards! I don't even get to sleep very much! I'm just cranking them out left and right!

Today is "W"ednesday at Magnolia-licious. For my card, I chose to use Izzy's Bumblebee as the focal point. I wanted the card to be bright and cheery! I decided to use at least one dehydrated orange slice on my card. Don't ask me why - because it was there? LOL So, I built my card around the orange slice! LOL Here are the details: the paper is Basic Grey Picadilly. I used Distress Inks, pencils, and chalks to color the image. The flowers are from my stash. The die cut at the top is a very old Magnolia Doohickey Die. I did some distressing, added Fran-tage, and pretty ribbon.



The interior of the card is also finished in matching papers and flowers.

Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you like the card I created. Maybe I have provided some inspiration. I have to tell you that these stamps are so easy peasy to color. If I wasn't so intimidated by Copics, I'd pull mine out and give them a go. Copics just wreak chaos on my confidence level! I'm at ease with DIs and pencils.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you might leave a comment for me. You know that there is a special surprise for one lucky gal who leaves comments on the DT blogs. Good luck to all!



Have a wonderful week!

XO,

Chris

12 comments:

Candy said...

Delightful card, Chris!
Love the orange slice :o)
Love, Candy

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations on finding the pearl, lucky girl!
I love your pretty card, the paper is so bright and cheery and that orange slice is awesome, beautifully done my friend
Hugs Julie P

Barb Hardeman said...

Oh my word, Chrissy! What an interesting story, what an interesting life! I love to read about your adventures...you're a great story teller. Now to the card...well it's truly a delight! Coloring - perfect
embellies - perfect
dp - perfect
I guess you could say that your cranking out perfection every time...hugs...Barb...HE>i

Karen said...

So very beautiful! I love that orange slice too! : )

Phi said...

Wow a pearl, and a huge one too. You lucky duck!! Lovely card too. So bright and vibrant.

NPurdum56 said...

Oh so pretty Christ! I love the colors! That image is adorable! :) Nancee

Karen said...

So very pretty! Beautiful colors.

Karen

EnblogSail said...

Interesting n pretty card; with an orange slice!!
Caryl

Nicole said...

OMG a perfect big pearl!! Chris that's awesome! Lucky you!!
Your card is wonderful and soooooo lovely.
Happy crafting ;-)
Hugs, Nicole

Jay said...

Loved reading your story about your beach house, so sad that someone was so cruel to build in front of you.
However, I love your card its so different, never seen one with an orange slice before, so inventive!!! Congratulations on finding that elusive pearl too honey! Cuddles Jay xxx

Christa said...

Just love your orange card !!
HAVE A NICE WEEK !
XX Christa.

Laura said...

I love when a simple thing like a dehydrated orange slice can kick off an idea. Your card is gorgeous and I loved your story. HUGS!
Laura C.